Hey everyone, sorry I am late. This is as good a time as any to talk about scheduling. From now on this comic is going to update on Sundays. This just works out much better with how my week is typically planned out.
In other news I graduated with my BFA this week and so it has been kinda hectic; hence the late comic.
But back to business.
No playlist for this comic. The vast majority of this was done in silence, it was just one of those weeks. Probably the earliest sketches were done to the new Daft Punk album; but I can not be sure.
So linework. You may remember that in my last blog post I talked about how I was not satisfied with my lines. Well this week I feel is a bit of an evolution but I am still not satisfied. I was mindful in some of the panels to have a thin hesitant sort of stuttery line, just to see how that would work out. In the end I feel like it was equal parts good and bad. It seems like where I used this type of line things seemed to fall apart. Shapes are made, but they don't know what they are exactly; almost like they are perpetually on the verge of rattling apart. I am not sure how I will move forward in the next page. My guess is that I will focus a lot more on the line, cross hatching, fully blacked out shadows, that sort of thing. That said, there is a chance that I might make things even flimsier just to see what happens. I did have moments of weakness (panels 2 and 3) where I fell back onto a thicker line made with a more confident stroke. So maybe the answer is to expunge that idea completely with no regrets or second thoughts.
Colours are coming along. I have always felt that they are my weakness and I feel like I am getting a better grip. I am still trying to stay away from anything too painterly, but at the same time I am giving myself some room away from a purely graphic approach. I have a hunch that I might have gone overboard with the textures a little in this page. I have been hesitant to use them in my digital work, I feel like some people use texture to cover up bad drawings or colour choices and I don't want to do that. All in all I am happy with the colour, though I think I should have made things a little bit lighter.
I am happy with page layout. Nothing is too adventuress but then again not everything has to be.
As far as story is concerned I am biting at the bit to get past this prologue and introduce the full cast, but I do want to take things slow; it is a thriller after all.
I can't think of much else to say about this one. Thanks for reading and have a good week.
Jeff K.
<-- Previous Page Next Page -->

No comments:
Post a Comment