Right now I have a moment and it struck me to come here and write this. In the early days of this game I had planned on self publishing. With the advent of kickstarter and the recent success of all sorts of indy board games I was inspired to get in on that action. So I made the game and broke it down and made it again and broke it again and eventually I have come to find myself in the presence of a game that I think isn't half bad. All the while I was making illustrations for the game; my degree is in fine arts ya see, and out of pride or maybe a desire to spend the least amount of money as possible I decided to do all of the art for the game.
But months pass, things change, and opportunities present themselves. I was advised against self publishing, it is a headache and an undertaking. While it is not impossible, it is a HUGE time sink and in the end it is in my best interests to take the game to a publisher. I am comfortable with this notion now; I wasn't in the beginning but I am now.
As a result of this decision it is becoming more and more likely that my art will not be used in the final product. I don't regret spending the hours that I did on the illustrations; frankly I believe they help get the tone across and will help the game find a publisher in the end.
In any case, I wanted to show you one of the illustrations I made. As I drew it I kept earlier drafts for just such an occasion.
That is it for now. I won't promise any new posts, I have learned that lesson. All I can say is that I will be back in the future; though I can not say when.
Good luck in all of your endeavors,
Jeff K.
No comments:
Post a Comment